Thursday, January 17, 2008

Once Every 56 Years...

Something is happening that only happens every 56 years, and it is the worst possible year for it to happen. My wife and I are attempting to purchase resources we need for church planting, pay off school bills, and save a decent amount of money before I become a broke student again. We had a great financial plan all set up for the next 5 months before the move to Pittsburgh. Except for this every-56-year-phenomenon....

See there are 52 weeks to a year. Except on leap years, there are 52 weeks and a day. Every 7th leap year, or 28 years, an extra week has effectively accumulated on the calendar. No big deal. Until two weeks have accumulated on the calendar, which happens every 56 years - in this case, 2008. In 2008 there are 27 pay periods for those of us who are paid bi-weekly. Which means that my paycheck is lower by about $200/mo to evenly spread out over an extra paycheck. It would mean nothing if I were to be here for the entire year, for I would just get an extra paycheck this year. But with a June departure date, I am waving goodbye to that $200 a month as I scramble to figure out how to pay my bills. Stupid Leap Years.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well.... I guess you just should have stayed a little longer, then, shouldn't you?...stupid start/departure dates...