Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Fifth Act

Doxa Church recognizes and cherishes the gospel as story. We se the story as circling around four words.

Creation.
Fall.
Redemption.
Restoration.

These words sum up the great movement of God throughout all of history to bring people to Himself for His own glory. However, I have been reading N.T. Wright's excellent ponderings on the story, and he identifies us as being in the fifth act of history. His acts are the Creation, the Fall, Israel, Jesus, and The Church.

His first two mirror ours exactly, and his last two have overt connections to redemption and restoration. However, he includes Israel as an obviously integral part of the story. I think he may have a point, and I wonder if Doxa Church should consider rephrasing our story words in order to appropriately place us in the fifth act.

If such a reconsideration was in order, what would we call act three, or Israel? What is the gospel purpose of the history of Israel in context of movement from fall to redemption?

A few words come to mind. Calling...Hearing...Reaching...Promise...

I think of the "God of the Oppressed" theology that comes from Exodus 2:23-25. It says,
"The people of Israel groaned because of their slavery and cried out for help. Their cry for rescue from slavery came up to God. And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. God saw the people of Israel—and God knew."
There is an important piece of history here, that perhaps we ought include in our basic outline of the meta-narrative of the gospel. How do you think this part of the story fits in, and how could it best be represented in our progression? Creation...Fall..._______...Redemption...Restoration.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a very good point that I had never considered before. In light of God's promise of a Saviour and Redeemer even in the first few chapters of Genesis, and then later through the prophets (and actually through all the OT), I think you hit the nail on the head with "Promise."

Stephen said...

Personally, I think the words are fine. Isreal is a story of redemption. It is part of the process of God continually redeeming his people. The story of God's grace extended to a people who were to be a blessing to the nations. The story of Jesus. God has been about the work of redemption since the fall, and restoration is not complete until Heaven. So from the fall till Jesus comes back I believe we are in the act of redemption. This is the part of the play where Jesus is redeeming his bride. He is still in the process of wooing her, and the marriage ceremony upon his return is the climax of this story.

Hefe said...

Yes, I do see your point Steve. And I'm not advocating a big change, just kinda thinking out load. Another way to look at is is a story in five acts with four major themes and One Central Focus.

After all, I believe the creation, fall, redemption, restoration narrative comes from the great Francis Schaeffer - and who can argue with him?

Hefe said...

And, YEAH, we have another reader. Welcome Laura!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! It's good to be here :)

Jessica said...

To me, the OT can be laid out somewhat like this; Genesis: Slavery, Exodus: Freedom, Leviticus: Discipling/ Teaching, Numbers: Testing (in which the Israelites received a whopping "F") If the Bible stopped here, there would be no hope, which is why I am glad it doesn't. Deuteronomy is a shot at another chance. God re-teaches the Israelites. He shows that He doesn't quit and that his love for Israel (and us) is deeper than the deepest, darkest sin they (and we) could carry. In Joshua, the Israelites are tested again and pass with an "A". Isn't this true of our Christian walk? I was a slave to sin, I came to know Christ and found freedom, God has been discipling and teaching me, I have been tested and I have failed. I've been repentant, which opened up the door for God to Re-teach me. I've been tested again, and hopefully I have passed. This cycle seems to be prevalent in the Bible. So where am I going with this? Well, your story circles around the four words Creation, Fall, Redemption, and Restoration. Perhaps, the word you are looking for could be "Hope" or "Promise". Without the hope that God gives through His promises, to Israel and Us, in the Bible, following God and coming to the point of repentance which leads to redemption, would be a lot more difficult and maybe even impossible. Should you add another word? That's up to you, but now you know my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Well said.