Sunday, June 29, 2008

First Sunday

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.

This morning, was my first Sunday apart from my family. The first Sunday of this new life seeking the will and kingdom of God in Pittsburgh, PA. I began a new devotional time this morning by reading John 1. I am so thankful for this passage and the way it spoke to me this morning. I am in desperate need of enlightenment. I have begun to gather with new class mates, journeying with them through teaching philosophies that betray more depth than just educational theories. I have started a dialogue with one of my professors about Jesus and redemption in light of poverty and oppression. And I have come to a stunning realization.

I don't know what I am doing.

This is why I am thankful for this passage. It reminds me that this is a natural state. And I can't enlighten anyone. We can dialogue in a classroom about education, religion, whatever. But without the story of Jesus, it is all just babbling, because we will be discussing symptoms of another problem. It keeps me from defending a liberation theology I don't believe in. Because Jesus didn't come to fix social problems. He came to raise the dead to life. And those raised can make a difference for justice' sake, and for the kingdom's sake. But it begins, and ends, with Jesus.

Lord, enlighten me on how to speak truth, on how to listen to people around me, and to you, and to find the way to be a vessel of your illuminating light. Amen.

No comments: