Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Waiting and Dreaming

"If you are a dreamer, come in.If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer . . .If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire,For we have some flax golden tales to spin.Come in!Come in!" - Shel Silverstein

When I was a kid I loved this Shel Silverstein poem, and I think its a good place to begin with my first post. This is my first foray into the blogsphere, so be gentle with me. I am by nature a dreamer, and I love the big God-sized kind of dream. The dream that can only be accomplished by a God who is bigger than the universe, and completely sovereign.

This is a place for dreamers. A place to dream of the church as it could to be, and to both celebrate and lament the church as it is. A place to sit, discuss, and attempt to navigate the practical and theological issues that we are confronted with along this journey of church planting.

At the moment I am living on a dream, and waiting on God to make it happen. I'm sitting at cafe sipping some coffee while waiting for my house to sell, waiting to hear on my new job in the 'burgh, and trying to figure out when and if to put an offer on a new house. I'm going to be honest, I hate waiting. This whole process is totally stressing me out because I have almost no control. Right now, the dream is my salvation.

So, lets dream together of a church without walls, without borders, without programs, without classes or cliques. A church that is not vested in any one political party or nation. A church that seeks the welfare of the city and loves the poor, the broken-hearted, the marginalized and the oppressed. A church that is totally dependent upon the gospel and is led by only by Jesus Christ. So, if you are a dreamer, come in!

SR

No comments: